Featured Article

The Gods of Liberalism Revisited

 

The lie hasn't changed, and we still fall for it as easily as ever.  But how can we escape the snare?

 

READ ABOUT IT...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Eternal Big Win

I doubt that anyone lives up to it all the time, but have you ever seen a Christian who doesn't seem get despondent over the future, one who isn't fretting most of the 1001 things-to-be-afraid-of that the media throws at us every day?

From todays' Men of Integrity devotional:

I spoke on a Sunday in the church of an old friend, a pastor and lifetime fan of the Chicago Bulls. It just so happened that on that Sunday the Bulls were competing in the NBA play-offs for a berth in the finals.

My friend was beside himself with excitement and high hopes. But because he is also very conscientious, instead of watching the scheduled game, he videotaped it. Then, when all the services were over, he was able to unwind by watching his "delayed version" of the game.

In the game's early stages, the Bulls were playing poorly and getting killed. Chicago was down something like 20 points in the first half. So I was amazed at the lack of anxiety expressed by my usually fanatical friend. He didn't get upset. He didn't hang his head. He didn't yell at the coach.

"What's with you?" I asked, puzzled, "Aren't you concerned about the outcome of this game?"

"Not a bit," he replied. "One of the fellows at church tonight watched the game this afternoon, and he told me that the Bulls pull it out in the fourth quarter."

God reveals eternal outcomes so that we can face life's greatest trials without overwhelming concern.

The Christian who isn't overly worried about the future is the one who's holding firmly to the eternal perspective. (I wish I could say this was me all the time).

We may not know every detail, but we know the final outcome will be the big win for God's team.


0 comments:

Dakota Voice
 
Clicky Web Analytics