Featured Article

The Gods of Liberalism Revisited

 

The lie hasn't changed, and we still fall for it as easily as ever.  But how can we escape the snare?

 

READ ABOUT IT...

Thursday, September 27, 2007

What It's Like to Leave the Life (and Get Real Life)

The National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality has a great interview with Michael Glatze, a former homosexual activist who left homosexuality behind.

But it's not just about his life in "the life," but about how he found "the new life":

M.G. There you go. So I found out I didn’t have this heart condition, and I thanked God. This was the first moment in my entire life when literally every concept that my mind had ever entertained—my whole existence—was completely reevaluated.

J.N. So it was first fear, then gratitude, and then “metanoia”…an awakening to your true identity.

M.G. That was the moment. There was no more doubt. And on a fundamental level, it was the end of an intense war between myself and God.

J.N. You made peace?

M.G. It was instant peace.

J.N. Wonderful. Absolutely fantastic.

M.G. And in that experience, all of a sudden, I kind of rejoined all the other parts of humanity that I had been fighting with.

J.N. You rejoined the living.

M.G. Yes, but at that time, I didn’t fully understand it as such. I just felt I had rejoined something so primal. This gave me a sense of autonomy, so that slowly, I grew to further understand what it all meant.

Though he mentions some Buddhist meditation influence during the interview, he makes it very clear that he gives credit for this great change to Christ. (When I was getting serious about my faith 15 years ago, I was bolstered by some material that I wouldn't really suggest to someone in the same position because part of it contained serious errors--the point being that sometimes God can use unlikely things to bring good).

When I read the passage above, I was struck by how similar it was for me, being "born again." If you're saved when you're young, it might not be so profound, but I suspect that for anyone who is born again when they're older, or if they've "backslidden" and lived the way of the world and then come back, it's a lot like this. The truth of who you are, who God is, and the Ultimate Truth hits you like a ton of bricks...but a sweet ton of bricks that ironically makes you feel set-free instead of crushed.

And the great thing about this new life, this end of the war with God, this peace, is that anyone can have it...if you'll just admit that you need it.


0 comments:

Dakota Voice
 
Clicky Web Analytics