Featured Article

The Gods of Liberalism Revisited

 

The lie hasn't changed, and we still fall for it as easily as ever.  But how can we escape the snare?

 

READ ABOUT IT...

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Legislator Wants to Erase Reality

A Florida legislator who finds reality unpleasant wants to ban certain language.

From news-press.com:

A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term 'illegal alien' from the state's official documents.

'I personally find the word 'alien' offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children,' said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. 'An alien to me is someone from out of space.'


Sometimes I can't figure out how some people get elected. Oh, sorry: I missed the "D" after her name. That explains a lot.

Anyway, if Senator Wilson would watch a little less TV and wipe the dust off a dictionary she'd learn that alien means

belonging or relating to another person, place, or thing


"Alien" has nothing inherently to do with Spock, Martians, Sigourney Weaver, or anything from space.

But people who are in America illegally definitely fall within the realm of "belonging or relating to another person, place, or thing," namely being a citizen of another country. That makes them an "alien." I was once an "alien" when I lived in England for several years. I was there legally, but I was an "alien" nonetheless.

And if they are in this country without following the laws specified by this country for entrance and residency, then "illegal" speaks for itself.

But I'm being too hard on Senator Wilson. I don't honestly believe her problem is an intellectual or educational deficit. It's actually a problem dealing with the law. She'd like to ignore the fact that there are many people in our country who are here illegally, and she'd like to conveniently erase that fact.


0 comments:

Dakota Voice
 
Clicky Web Analytics