Featured Article

The Gods of Liberalism Revisited

 

The lie hasn't changed, and we still fall for it as easily as ever.  But how can we escape the snare?

 

READ ABOUT IT...

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Another Thune-Daschle Fight?

Tom Lawrence of the Rapid City Weekly News floats the idea of a Thune-Daschle rematch fight, this time as VP contenders.

But Thune is a favorite of the far right for his victory in 2004 and he is young, well spoken and a McCain supporter. I chatted with him about the VP slot a few weeks ago and while he termed it unlikely, there’s little doubt he would strongly consider an offer.

Daschle offers a big name to link to Obama. He’s also a capable campaigner and would bring wisdom and heft to a ticket led by a senator with less than four years national experience.

Likely? While Lawrence admits it may seem unlikely at first, there are reasons to consider both of them.

I don't know what to think of a potential McCain-Thune team. I like Senator Thune, and because I do, I don't know if I'd like seeing him tied that closely with Senator McCain, someone I can barely tolerate.

Though I'll likely choose the lesser of two evils and vote for McCain this November, McCain's liberal streaks, animosity toward serious Christians, and infatuation with media love just really don't do it for me.

Would such an association taint Thune in the minds of other Americans for future ambitions Thune might have? I'm afraid they might; I'm afraid people might take such a teaming to mean that Thune and McCain are cut from the same cloth. That might turn out to be the case, because people can be fickle and tend to forget pretty quickly.

But it would be good to see a fine senator--especially South Dakota's senator--elevated to greater national prominence. If people didn't associate Thune with McCain's positions too closely, it might give Thune a boost with future endeavors, regardless of whether or not McCain wins in November.

I just don't know...


0 comments:

Dakota Voice
 
Clicky Web Analytics