Featured Article

The Gods of Liberalism Revisited

 

The lie hasn't changed, and we still fall for it as easily as ever.  But how can we escape the snare?

 

READ ABOUT IT...

Sunday, October 01, 2006

In Many Public Schools, the Paddle Is No Relic

I was pleasantly surprised to learn this morning that corporal punishment is still in use in some schools across the country.

A New York Times story tells of Principal Anthony Price reinstating the paddle at his school in Fort Worth, TX.

“I’m a big fan,” Mr. Price said. “I know it can be abused. But if used properly, along with other punishments, a few pops can help turn a school around. It’s had a huge effect here.”


He goes on to discuss how it's used and why:
Mr. Price said he definitely believed there was a “cultural factor” behind the persistence of corporal punishment in some parts of the country after it has disappeared elsewhere.

“You hear people say, Well, you know, it’s in the Bible, don’t spare the rod and spoil the child,” he said.

He uses it, he said, because he believes it works.

“The rule is, never hit in anger,” Mr. Price said. “We always talk to the child before the punishment, make sure they understand why it’s happening, and then talk to them again afterward. None of it is cold or harsh. We try to treat the kids like they’re our own.”
I had the paddle used on me a few times when I was in school (and yes, it was after we landed on the moon), and it didn't wound me for life. It did motivate me to behave better, I'll tell you that!

If we had more serious punishment for bad behavior, both at home and in school, there'd be a lot less drug use, mouthing off to teachers, kids shooting and knifing each other in school and such as that. And I dare say there'd be a lot more learning going on, too, instead of such a zoo-like atmosphere they have now where teachers are afraid to discipline unruly kids lest their parents sue them.


0 comments:

Dakota Voice
 
Clicky Web Analytics